Sunday, February 26, 2012

In the Shallow Pool with: The Bob Newhart Show


  • Another show I watched pretty much faithfully as a child, which I now question why. Didn't find it as funny this go-around.

  • Bob Newhart's acting was subpar. Or maybe I just found his character unlikeable after all these years.

  • Why in the hell was Emily (Suzanne Pleshette) married to Bob? He always had this superiority complex. Also came across as having a permanent stick up his ass.

  • Love the theme song. One of my top 10 faves.

  • Would have been a very happy camper living in both apartments but preferred the one they occupied the first 5 seasons.

  • Didn't care for most of their furniture, except for their bookshelves and wall units.

  • Jerry (the dentist) was a weak character and got probably the worst lines of the show.

  • Howard Borden (next door neighbor) on the other hand, was a really funny character. Well played by Bill Daily. Knew how to play dumb/aloof perfectly. I aspire to be like him.

  • When I was young I had a thing for Suzanne Pleshette/Emily. Loved her voice. Now? I realize it was a serious smoker's voice going on which is soooo not attractive or sexy. An almost Eillen Heckart quality to it. IMDB'd to see how she died. Surprise, surprise: Respiratory failure as a result of lung cancer. Ugh. Still loved the character of Emily, though.

That's all I have... on to the last season of The Mary Tyler Moore Show

No comments:

Post a Comment